Thursday, June 28, 2007

Wehadababyitsagirl

So, Monday I was supposed to call the labor and delivery floor at 10 am to make sure they had room for me to come in, have the baby turned, then be induced. They didn't have room. They said to call back in an hour. An hour later, still no room. An hour later, still no room. Thirty minutes later, I got a call from the nurse at my OB's office and she said that the perinatologist who was scheduled to turn the baby, just looked at my chart (keep in mind, this was almost three hours after I was already scheduled to be there) and decided that he wouldn't turn the baby because I was past my due date and already dilating. That just wasn't the news I wanted to hear! So, a little while later, the nurse called and had scheduled my c-section for the following morning. I was absolutely devestated and just DREADING having surgery. :(

So, the next morning, I go in for my c-section. I felt around for the baby, like I did all the time, and couldn't find her head where I expected to. In fact, I thought for sure I could feel it down where it was supposed to be! I didn't want to get too excited though. So, I went into the hospital, got all set up for the c-section and asked for a doctor to come do an ultrasound to make sure she was still breech. About fifteen minutes before I was scheduled to be wheeled back into the operating room, the doctor came in, did an ultrasound, and sure enough...HEAD DOWN!!!!! They called my doctor to let him know and he told them to make room in labor and delivery...he wanted me to have that baby before she flipped back! WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

At 2:00 pm, they started me on pitocin. About four hours later (and only one centimeter dilated UGH!) they broke my water. WHOA BABY! Talk about crazy hard labor! Things progressed at a pretty good rate after that! At about 11:10 I told my nurse, "I think it's time to push!" She checked me and I was at a +3 station. (+4 means the head is out!) She told me not to push and ran to get the doctor. The doctor got there, told me to push, then immediately told me to slow down because the baby was coming too quickly. I completely stopped pushing, but the sheer force of the contraction pushed the entire baby out.

She's absolutely perfect and I'm completely in love! She seemed SUPER tiny, which left me concerned because all along I thought I was really due around the fifth of July, which meant I was still a week and a half early. Sure enough, she was only 8 lbs. 2 oz. Now, this is technically considered "large for gestational age," and is bigger than the average baby. But for me, this was one TINY baby! Luckily, she had no problems at all and is in perfect health.

We had a hard time in the hospital because all she wanted to do was nurse and scream. Sleep was to be had by none. I came home today and she's been happily sleeping most of the day. The kids are absolutey enamoured with her. Sera just cannot get enough of her. All she wants to do is kiss her and stroke her face all day long.

So, there you have it. I wasn't fond of being induced, but it was SO much better than having a c-section, and really...when it all comes down to it, a healthy baby and mommy are all that really matters and I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat to end up with this precious little angel.

No comments: